Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Miriam Haskell Earrings: The Family Theatrics

I finally sold the Miriam Haskell earrings, and I am truly pleased. It turns out they are gift for some one's daughter, how lovely. I could not resist adding this "family tale" in the package. Spectacular stories such as this one, really should be passed on with them. :-)

"Dear C,
I wanted to share this small bit of flamboyant history about the earrings, just in case it might interest you.


The Miriam Haskell earrings were a gift to my very elegant grandmother from her very handsome, but sly & swarthy 2nd husband, a “tycoon” of sorts from Los Angeles. They met in Hawaii in the late 50s and dazzled her off her after she had fled her forlorn life, a mere year after losing her first husband.



He was incredibly handsome, but a terrible cad. My grandmother, years later, told me a story that as a young man in high school, he was friends with the famous writer Lillian Hellman. The two of them, each with their own vehicle--one a Rolls-Royce, the other a fire truck raced each other to school.



I have no idea if the story is true or not, but I have always remembered it, and it is quite a tale to remember.

Enjoy the earrings. They have been tucked away in my jewelry box for over 25 years. ;-)

D. xo

No comments:

Post a Comment