Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Vera Neumann

Recently I asked a woman if her handmade coasters where made with vintage Vera fabric. She said, "I don't think Vera Wang makes pillow cases...." Where was I to go with that? I gasped, inside, because, really, who was I to judge her having only discovered Vera--Vera Neumann--several years before.

Trust me, this woman will never make that mistake again, as I shared what I knew with her--a pittance of what you know, perhaps. (Why is it that Vera makes us feel like we know her? Like we know her feelings when she painted such bold strokes, those delicate florals, her psychedelic swirls. A woman of many personas, she feels like us, I think, a bit of every woman.

***
Everyone's  favorite store: Anthropologie just came out with an ode to the artist: "Vera: The Art And Life Of An Icon" (but you can buy it through Amazon for nearly half the price. Shh. It's a secret.)

I just finished posting my own Vera scarves in the shop. They look so lovely, posed, draped and  well lit. I'd like to frame them up and keep them forever. Once you've found your very first Vera, there really is no going back. It's nearly an addiction, right up there with shoes and coffee.
So, to help you out with your first Vera acquisition here are some Vera finds from vintage fashionistas all over Etsy. Enjoy!

A gorgeous silk Vera scarf from The Lucky Fish (the largest collection of Vera scarves I've ever seen.)
Darling Vera in green and  lavender florals. Recycled Charm


A bold floral Vera in green and ocean blue. Vintage Society


(Obviously, I like green.) This bursting floral Vera is from Vintage Domicile

 
And from my own collection: neon green and pink Vera;  Dahlila Found

I'm certain you have your own favorites, but these caught my eye today. It must be my yearning for sunny days, spring weather and gardening. I hope you like them. Do share your own favorites. I would love to see them.

dahlila xxoo

4 comments:

  1. oh I love this... flattered to have been chosen! I love your post and your finds are wonderful!
    Aubrey and Martha vintagesociety.etsy.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay, you're back! Vera is the BOMB. My biz partner would LOVE that book {thanks for the 1/2 price tip!} I have a gorgeous vintage VERA scarf and napkins in my shop right now...they're always a best-seller. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Opendoor. My pleasure!
    dahlila :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just adore your blog. I ADORE Vera and I LOVE Anthropologie, but I had no idea they came out with this darling book!

    Wondering if you'd be interested in a link exchange??? Would love it if you'd check out my blog and let me know what you think!

    XoXo,

    Vicki
    http://nostalgiccollections.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete